When is enough "transparency" finally enough?

The Circle - Dave Eggers

Warning: Light spoilers ahead that may not really be spoilers? I dunno.

I was recently introduced to Dave Eggers' 2013 novel The Circle by way of the movie, which will be released later this year. As a fan of Emma Watson, I naturally was intrigued by the trailer, and then by the premise of the movie and book. I had seen the title floating about a few places online and decided that this time I would actually check it out. A couple weeks later, I had the opportunity to order a copy. Upon its arrival on Thursday, I found I couldn't resist it and started reading, just a couple pages here and there as I toyed with the idea of starting yet another book when I have a stack of five plus an ebook to be getting on with, as well.

I wound up falling into it, hook, line, and sinker, on Friday, including staying up until 4:30 am reading in bed and then promptly digging back into it upon waking up today. That's how intrigued I am by the premise of this book.

Although I'm not quite halfway through, it has already started to creep me out in various ways. Video of sexual encounters without the consent of both people involved? Forced social interactions online and in real life, which then translates to online behaviors? Basically being lured into literally living at work, with long work hours and guilt-trips if you don't spend time socializing at work events after? This does not sound like the kind of world I would want to live in, yet it sounds eerily like one that we could be headed toward, with some of the biggest names in the Internet already having unprecedented access to any information we'll let them see.

I think I'll be taking more precautions about what I post from here on out as I seek to strike a better balance. I don't particularly want my entire life to become digitized.